Thursday 22 January 2009

Slum Dog Millionaire

Last night I had the pleasure of going to the movies, for the first time in months, to see Slum Dog Millionaire. Having heard the response of critics to this film, Kermode for example views it as Danny Boyle's Best, i was looking forward to an outsatnding film.... It wasn't. It was good, very good in fact but certainly not Boyle's best and certainly not the best film of the last year.

I can't help feeling that the normal cinema audience has been fed such light weight crap over the last few years that any film with a touch of magic and depth is seen as a work of genius.

For those who care these are in, my opinion, the ten best films since 2000:

1 - Goodbye Lenin (2003)
2 - The Lives of Others (2006)
3 - The Motorcycle Diaries (2004)
4 - Bad Education (2004)
5 - Downfall (2004)
6 - Y tu Mama Tambien (2001)
7 - Hotel Rwanda (2004)
8 - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007)
9 - Last King Of Scotland (2006)
10- Cockles & Muscles (2004)

Just typing that list has made me feel good.

2 comments:

David in Setouchi said...

I totally agree with you about Slumdog Millionaire. I definitely loved it, but it was not the best film of last year (Into the Wild, maybe... or does it count as 2007) and not Danny Boyle's best (even though I think it's up there).

As for the best movies of the 2000's, I'd need more time to think about it, but I'd definitely put Kill Bill and Lord of the Rings in the list.

OscottLocal said...

Kill Bill, i like very much but a little too much style and a little bit too little substance. Lord of Rings is a great film but its hard to judge objectivly, it looked fantastic and felt epic but the dialogue was so wooden it hurt. I suppose you could make an argument that it should be included on the grounds of the effort involved if nothing else.